2.18.2009

a proposal.

My last post reminded me that I don't think I've ever discussed how I asked my bridesmaids to be in my wedding. When Adam and I got engaged, I decided I wanted to ask the girls in a special way. Since the girls are spread out all over the place, I knew I couldn't take them out to lunch or anything like that. And I didn't want to just ask them over the phone. So sending something was the most logical option. But what would I send them? After searching the internet for original ways to ask them (I had not discovered the world of wedding blogging just yet) I came across a cute, yet slightly cheesy poem: "Roses are red, violets are blue, will you be my bridesmaid? Please say I do!". This sparked an idea...I should "propose" to them! So I searched and searched and searched (for weeks) for a pretty yet affordable ring that they would all like. It was torture for those few weeks not to ask them when I saw one of them (like everyday at lunch) or talked to one of them on the phone! Finally I came across this ring on Overstock and knew it was the one!
While waiting for the rings to arrive, I made each of them a card with the poem on it and a little (not too mushy) note to each of them.
Here's a closeup of the flowers. I cut little triangles out of cardstock with an exacto knife and glued them on in layers. I added a little piece of satin ribbon around the stems.
Here's a closeup of the dress. I cut it with the exacto as well and added a satin sash to dress it up a bit.I think I've seen every one of them with the ring on, so I think they liked their gift! Either that or they only wear it when I'm around! Overall, I was happy that I kept it a secret until I found the perfect way to ask!

Anyone else ask their bridesmaids to stand by their side in a creative way?
All photos are my own.

10 comments:

Fall Wedding Bride said...

OMG!! What an awesome idea.. And I LOVE that ring!
I am actually really close to all of my bridesmaids. One of them is my cousin, the other is my soon to be sister-in-law and the other one is a really good friend who has been dating my brother for a couple of years. So I was just like "You're in my wedding" lol.. And they were like "alright".. lol.. So nothing special here. But I wish that I would have thought of something like that to do!...
Thanks for sharing, and the pictures are very detailed...

Nicole-Lynn said...

Very cute. I have a similar idea in mind for when I get engaged...

Jenn said...

Too cute!

I left an award for you on my blog :)

Chrissy said...

That's such a cute idea :-)
And another project to see that you are very talented in doing crafts!
Jessie at "A match made in Heaven" did something special as well...

Caitlin said...

Aw these are adorable! When I called my girlfriends to tell them I was engaged, I started the conversation off by asking them what they thought about the beach, dresses, bare feet, and a big party - most of them caught on very quickly! I later made each of them an card, with 10 reasons why they should be my bridesmaid (each personalized) and an invitation to a bridesmaid brunch!

Mara (The Wedding Cabaret) said...

thats awesome! great idea! love the ring!

PDX Bride said...

This is a super cute idea. I sent all my Bridesmaids cute cards, but I really love the ring idea!!

Goldie said...

What a fabulous idea! Your bridesmaids must feel so special!

AmyJean said...

What a sweet gesture! i love it!
RelentlessBride

Adrienne said...

Very cute idea!!! I am sure they loved this. I have BMs spread out all over as well, so I mailed them handmade cards. It was so much fun to make them.